Monday, December 17, 2012

Quips


Quotes Central's photograph came out just in time to remind us that our friends and family members are only a thought away.     My daughter Eileen comes to mind today, and everyday, but especially at Christmas as it was her favorite holiday when she would decorate anything and everything and made her home merry and bright.   She had a favorite blue angel that hung on the top of her tree every year, one she chose early in childhood and treasured.  She was on my candle lighting quest yesterday along with so many others.     

There is more truth than poetry in this little picture . . . our service men and women have always been paid low wages and it is not right as they leave their families behind and go off to war to defend each and everyone of us when there is a war on.    They deserve so much more.
I had to put this one on as it made me laugh out loud.   I had just stood on my scale and it told a story I certainly didn't want to see.  All the baking and eating has made a pathway to the inner folds which makes the outer folds a bit more rounder.  The five pounds I had lost found the way back, and a few more added . . . holidays are to be enjoyed but why does it have to mean eating our way through them?     The latest recipe is a chocolate Bailey's Creme cake and it is decadent, fattening and there is no such thing as stopping at one piece.     I should have a locked pantry door but it wouldn't work as I know where the key is.     Did I tell you that this year my lent starts January First . . .  and those belated Birthday dinners we celebrated this week were a tasty addition to our palates.   We did O'Hallaran's one night, tucking ourselves in a round booth, ordering ribs with all the trimmings and then last evening we got to the Nautical Inn and had the scallops with angel hair pasta and crispy spinach leaves.    And . . . the strangest thing of all is that you still wake up in the morning ready to eat breakfast as soon as your feet hit the floor.    Maybe I should light a candle for a poorer appetite!     Food is fuel . . . any excuse will do . . . go, enjoy your favorite foods and indulge to bulge then join me January First and we will behave for at least a day or two.    I'm smiling as it is time to go put on the potato laktes with applesauce . . . if you are nearby, come on in and I'll share them, a smile, a hug and a lot of tall tales.    Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment